GMOs We Can't Undo
In his book Enough, Bill McKibben argues that genetic engineering, robotics, and nanotechnology are taking us past a point of no return. We now stand, in Michael Pollan's words, "on a moral and existential threshold," poised between the human past and a post-human future. Post human future? Is that what is on the table with Genetically Modified Foods? I think so. Why? What is behind the curtain? It is not simply food. Exploring the link between GMOs and declining fertility.
Kaiser Permanente: GMO’s are Devastating Health
28 November 12
Just days after a leading genetically modified organism (GMO) researcher spoke out against GMOs and how many pro-GMO 'scientists' are in bed with Monsanto or carry their own GMO patents, the largest managed healthcare provider in the United States is now publicly speaking out against GMOs. In a recent newsletter, the Kaiser Permanente company discussed the numerous dangers of GMOs in a recent newsletter and how to avoid them.
Explaining how GM ingredients have been linked to tumors and organ damage in rats in the only lifelong rat study available, the newsletter highlighted how the only real long- term research indicates that GMOs are a serious health danger. The newsletter, which you can view here, states:
"Despite what the biotech industry might say, there is little research on the long-term effects of GMOs on human health. Independent research has found several varieties of GMO corn caused organ damage in rats. Other studies have found that GMOs may lead to an inability in animals to reproduce."
Top Health Giant Says Buy Organic for Proper Health
The newsletter then goes on to tell readers how they can avoid GMOs in their food through buying high quality organic and looking for other non-GMO indicators. It is important to remember the organic labeling meanings when shopping organic, however, which this newsletter unfortunately does not address. Make sure you know which 'level' of organic you are consuming:
Products labeled '100% organic' - These items are made with 100% organic ingredients and are the highest quality organic products you can purchase. No GMOs are allowed.
Labeled 'organic' - These products are to contain at least 95% organic ingredients overall. Still no GMOs are allowed.
'Made with 'organic ingredients' - This is the lowest form of organic content. This label is only required to contain 70% organic ingredients, meaning that the remaining 30% can be conventional. The conventional items, however, are not allowed to contain GMOs. These products don't qualify for the USDA seal, whereas the previous two do.
You can also look for the 'Non-GMO Verified' logo on food items to be sure that they are GMO free.
COMPANIES TO BOYCOTT
Naked Juice, Tostitos Organic, Tropicana Organic. Each of these popular brands is owned by PepsiCo, which donated $2.5 million to the No on 37 campaign.
Boca Burger, Back to Nature. These two brands are owned by Kraft Foods, which donated $2 million to defeat Prop. 37.
"O" Organics. This organic brand is owned by the grocery store chain Safeway, which is a member of the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA). GMA spent $2 million to defeat GMO labeling in California.
Honest Tea, Odwalla. Both of these popular "natural" brands are owned by the Coca-Cola Company, which donated $1.7 million to the No on 37 campaign.
Muir Glen, Cascadian Farm, Larabar. All of these brands are owned by General Mills, which donated $1.2 million to defeat Prop. 37.
Orville Redenbacher's Organic, Hunt's Organic, Lightlife, Alexia. Each of these brands is owned by Con-Agra, which spent $1.2 million to defeat Prop. 37.
Kashi, Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Gardenburger. These popular "healthy" brands are all owned by Kellogg's, which spent $791,000 to kill Prop. 37.
R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz Organic. These two brands are owned by Smucker's, which spent $555,000 to defeat Prop. 37.
Ben & Jerry's. This ice cream favorite is now owned by Unilever, which spent $467,000 to defeat Prop. 37.
Horizon, Silk, White Wave. These three brands can be found in health food stores all across the country, but their parent company, Dean Foods, donated $254,000 to the No on 37 campaign.